Monday, January 23, 2017

I'm still a chump...

There are those times in life, when you stumble upon what is referred to as a "life hack." Last night, while watching TV with my kids, in the hopes to wind them down for a nice night's sleep, we came upon an animated Lego show. They were babbling away and then this Lego piece came up on the screen. I said, "What is that? I have thrown about 15 of those away in the last couple of years...what's the point?" Oscar, not taking his eyes off the screen said, "...oh, that is a Lego Brick Separator...they come with every Lego set." So, I asked him to elaborate.

After 12 years of parenting, MILLIONS of Legos found, stepped on, swept up and thrown away, this little odd looking tool helps separate Lego creations, where possibly little fingers cannot cut the mustard. I found myself dumbfounded. What? When? How long has this been going on? How many other "life hacks" are out there that I am unaware of? What was I doing with my life?

Among the many things that I ponder in the late night/early morning hours, I constantly question if I am getting things done right. I wonder why I chose one selection of words instead of another. I question if I will ever walk away from one disagreement or another that I might have with my kids and think, good job. At the rate life is moving, I want to laugh at the chump who was raising kids in my house 3 years ago. She didn't know how good she had it. They were shorter, younger, slower, dependent and less verbal than they are now. I have told my mother recently on more than one occasion, how much I respect her for not selling me to gypsies when I was 12 years old. I know all about "The Strong Willed Child," but I haven't heard of the "Mouthy Pre-Teen Mantra,"...what I assume should be the companion book.

The mother who was raising kids in this house 3 years ago, was more trying to keep up with a toddler than policing social media, arguing about who is in charge and more over having to mentally fight the urge to say to one or more of my kids, "You are not always RIGHT!" I know lately, I have routinely also uttered the phrase, "...well, you need to just let that go." I have said it to bickering kids, almost bickering kids, kids who cannot stand the sight of each other and also to myself. But when does that mantra become effective? Where is my LEGO BRICK SEPARATOR?!


I love my kids more than they will ever know. I am ultimately hoping that this rut in the road of parenting will become easier, more manageable, and at some point less stressful...maybe we just need spring? I know, I'm a still a chump. There are no life hacks for raising kids I'm figuring out. There are no magical mantras or cocktails that will make things easier. I have been told that one day, I will miss these trying times of parenting. Get ahold of me in 20 years, sitting on my front porch with not a thing to do, and I'll let you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment