Monday, October 28, 2013

...this isn't a 30 minute sitcom...

Well...hello. It's been a while since I've written you...I've been a little busy. If someone would have told me a year ago, that my life would be how it is today? I would have told them to put down the crack pipe, and check themselves into a program. There would be no way that I would/could ever do half of the things I have done in the last year...but, that's not reality.

We had a conversation about your absence today. I reminded the kids how much they've accomplished in the last year...it fell seemingly on deaf ears. They couldn't figure out what I was trying to say. Nora, of course, said, "...I wish he could just come back for a while...", that's usually her standard response. She could carry on a full conversation just about anything (fact or fiction) but grasping where/why you are gone, not quite there yet.

In this conversation, I was trying to tell them how much they have grown, we have grown in the last year. People comment to me all the time, how hard it must be on my own...it is, but it would be so much worse if these kids weren't so great. I told them how strong they were. I told them how proud I was of them...I told them, "...do you know how amazing you kids are? You have been through one of the toughest years of your life. You have been through a loss that most can't even imagine. Look how you have made it...". What I really wanted to say, but censored myself is, do you know how bad ass you are?!

These kids, without them, I would never have made it. Sure, I long for the ability to just go to my room and shut the door at any given time of the day, but that is not reality. We, together, have somehow gained a strength in your absence...I'm not sure if that is out of necessity or if they have always had it in them...but it's there. We are bound for more difficult things in our path of life, this isn't a 30 minute sitcom, but my hope is that this will always be the glue that binds us...this monumental struggle of our lives changing.

The best part about these kids, is their sense of humor. They are able to find the humor, in what we are going through. The many mood swings of Nora. The boy who wants to be a man who (without the need for hygiene) in Oscar. The slight little fella who is always ready to show his feats of strength in Abe. All of us discussed the future of Atticus at the table tonight. As I was wrestling with him to sit at the dinner table, exchanging forks umpteen times, telling him to sit down...Someone asked what I thought his voice would be like. I said probably echoed in prison...Oscar was convinced Atticus would be able bust out of fairly quickly/stealthily. Nora said she would pray for him. Abe said, "...If he broke out, then I'd have to have him over for dinner, I can't leave my stinking brother out in the cold...".

These, little gifts of you...They are what wake me up in the morning. Argue with me. Drool on me. Wad their laundry up. Pee on the toilet seat. Make me play pool party in our living room. Climb the kitchen drawers to play with the coffee pot/knives. Eat me out of house and home. They are the last things I think about when I go to bed at night. They are these awesome gifts, while they might keep the liquor cabinet stocked, I'm left with the best part of you...with their help, I hope I'm doing you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment