Wednesday, September 18, 2013

...Christmas gift-cards to the liquor store, please.

...5:30 am start the coffee. I've been told by some that it is a tad strong. It isn't for leisure drinking, it's only function is to serve as a JOLT to wake me up. It probably rots my colon, but it's my healthy shot of ephedrine that is necessary to get my day started. Atticus starts his early morning oratory...talking to his stuffed animals, telling them the day's plans of taking apart the fire place at 7:45. Scaling the cabinets will be at 10:45 to reach the knife block that is seemingly out of reach of  children.

By 6:30 all are roused, clothes on, teeth brushed, at least one argument about appropriate clothing, pigtails and "he didn't really brush his teeth..." Then it's downstairs for what sounds like the crowd at an MMA prized fight. Breakfast, review of homework, cleaning breakfast, laundry, sip of coffee (still no leisure there) and then get the Talls out the door for school...I'm a degenerate, I make them walk or ride their bikes. I love living in Canton, MO!

Then it's the business of taking a shower (if lucky), cleaning that should involve a vacuum, if only the two home weren't scared to death of it. Laundry, meals, snacks removing Atticus from some shelf, answering 1,376 questions of Nora. Removing Atticus from some table. A couple of $20-a-cup pretend lemonade stands, some conceptual art, and the bartering of candy usually on Nora's daily agenda. Then, 3:30 when the madness starts again. Snacks, homework, yes you have to shower, dinner making, cranky toddlers, AND no there are no green beans in that. Dinner clean up, THUNDERDOME, baths, books, removing Atticus from a cabinet, diaper changes and...bed...for everyone under 5 feet, if only I were a couple of inches shorter.

Now, I had a brief but glorious time away from my Shangri La this summer. It was awesome, splendid, the thing of dreams...but my old habits were lying just under the surface. I kept thinking I needed to get doing something, weird.  I went back to my ways anyway and found myself making veggie snack trays and cleaning up glasses. It's part of my DNA now, heaven help me...

My story isn't something special. Millions of single parents do the same thing. I however wasn't eased into it. I went from having a teammate, to being the "I" in team. While I miss my teammate, anyone who has spent any time here in the last 10.5 months can attest that it is controlled chaos, and it might have been that before also. While I question my practices daily, at the end of the day when we some how achieve "quiet", I heave a sigh of relief and do some more laundry...

But, where my thoughts have rested lately are how this will be done when I work out of my house? My magic-bean-tree-that-grows-money won't last forever...if it ever sprouts. My worries lie on the fact that I will have to get a REAL job very soon. Budgeting can get you so far, but for some reason these kids eat 3 times (or more) a day!! They need things like braces/glasses/Dr. visits. I guess I'm preparing myself that while I can 'handle' what is going on now, it will indeed get harder/more stressful/more hectic. While I'm grateful that it is the job title I currently hold, I know the future holds more jobs, more titles, and more to do in 24 hours than I might think I possible...for anyone who wishes to know, I'm accepting all gifts of liquor for Christmas this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment