Sunday, September 29, 2013

...most superb snack, pirate mother...

She's girly, only in about 15 minute stints. She knows that if she LOUDLY whispers something, it's important, it's serious, and it usually makes no sense. Her imagination is mind boggling. Her vocabulary is WAY too vast. She carries a smelly stuffed dog, that has now become part of our messed up family. She understands sarcasm, and uses it (as I shutter). Her mortal weaknesses are marshmallows, chocolate milk and candy corn...because we all have our weaknesses.

She's way beyond toys. Don't get me wrong, she wants every one advertised on television, but I think that's just her way on not wanting to break with convention. She's most happy with some object meant to be thrown in the trash can, like a paper towel tube. First it's a telescope on her pirate ship. Then it's her trumpet in her Dixieland Jazz Band...hours later, she's under the table with it, telling it about her day, and how glad she is that they met...if I didn't love her, I'd be frightened of her.

She is logical, and at times can't get past that. I caught her scribbling in a kiddie magazine of hers. I said, "Hey, wait! What are you doing? That's not nice...". She looked at me, sort of tilted her head to the side and said, "...um, mommy...you know this is a magazine?...it doesn't HAVE feelings...". Or the other day when our friend told her to be careful not to get her hands to close to her brother's mouths at dinner time, she's liable to loose a finger. She turned to them and said, "...I never loose my fingers, they're attached to my hand..."

There is sadly, less and less that she can be fooled with lately. However, her ability to be able to include Santa Claus to any possible guest list is compelling, but she's become this character. I know these are her ways, they will always be unique to her, they will fade, as soon as she starts school. As much as I complain, that she will be here two more years before she starts school, I full on know I bore her to death. I know as much as she wears me out, she will be wearing out a teacher someday also. She will also loose that shine of hers just a bit, not in a bad way. In the way that kids become exposed to other kids, drop off their annoying little habits and make new ones. No matter when it happens, she'll always have me laughing...hopefully.

I write this, not as some awe inspiring 'Ode to Nora Jane Hunt'. While she is my one day estrogen infused partner in crime, the outnumbered stick together. She has every bit as many hilarious, nerve-racking, unique, imaginative traits as her brothers before her, and hopefully her brother after (that is if he isn't in Juvie by then). I write this, because I am blessed to be able to have a front row seat and backstage pass for watching my kids grow into these little people by staying at home with them. I know that while it's hard to make it work, in the end when your kids do something really brilliant, you can take the credit for it, you are with them all day. Sadly, when they are feeling up mannequins at a department store, yeah, well that's on you too...but, I can rest my head at night, knowing that even in a loud whisper, this 'Pirate Mother' makes the most superb snacks...

No comments:

Post a Comment