Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lousy with power?

The morning dialog, usually occurring about 7:57 am...Today it was the 'Mom vs. Abe Battle Royale'
"It's cold out, you have to wear hats..."
"What? Why? Can't we wear hoods instead? I don't want to wear a hat..."
"It's hat weather. It's cold out. I don't enjoy living at the medical group. And lastly, I'm lousy with power, put a hat on..."
"I can't find my hat, I guess I'll wear a hood..."
Cut to me pulling a hat out of the basket, and handing it to him.
"Wait, that hat? I don't want to wear that hat?!"
"Tell that to the hat you lost, we are waiting on you, let's go..."
Meanwhile, all of this is transpiring in front of the neighbor kid we give a ride to school, who rarely wears a coat and never wears a hat. Ironic?

Upon dropping the fellas off, I see Abe and tell him to put his hat on. As they are walking away from the van, I'm watching them from my rear view mirror. Watching. Watching. Keeping my eyes fixed on Abe. He looks around chatting it up with his friends. And then it happens...he looks around one more time and as he is crossing the street, he takes the hat off. It's that moment...the one when you realize, we're there...

We are there. The point when you see defiance, in its simplest form I realize, happen. When the kid who usually follows the rules, goes sneaky. I know this is small. But it's the turning point I guess that stings a little. It's the never ending battle of trying to convince your kids that you are ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING, ALL POWERFUL. I've had a couple of instances before when the Talls act like rum-nuts and I shock them with my 'powers'. It's hard to convince kids that you were one time one of them, you know the game. It's hard to make them understand that the sneakier they are, there is a little trust that is chipped away.

So, in that moment my heart sank a little...I know I have good kids. I know they are going to pull crap like this. I know this is merely the beginning of the hijinks that will ensue in the next 15 years. I know when they are in school they probably act like ass hats just like other grade school boys. I guess, I just hadn't mentally prepared myself. I needed my Tuesday dose of reality, other than 'Pants off Tuesday'. The only good thing about any of this? I have 6 hours think about how I'll deal with it. Contemplating finding every hat in the house and having him wear them tomorrow...Still kicking things around...However hilariously, as I'm writing this Atticus decided to go into the kitchen and turn on the garbage disposal, scaring the crap out of himself. Score one for the ALL KNOWING, SEEING, AND POWERFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment