Sunday, March 9, 2014

out of townees

Dinah Washington sang it, "What a difference a day makes..." Very interesting what 24 hours can do to your psyche. Feeling defeated in every aspect of my life. Then, waking up, attacking the day, knowing that if I do the best I can, is all that's really asked of me in this world. Maybe it's just a band aid, but I'll take it.

For anyone who has thought about journaling or blogging, it's worth it. It's like a visit to a therapist, without the copay. Writing has and is been my best way of getting through this whole thing. The act of getting it from my brain, out my fingers and onto a keyboard. It's like a mental cleansing. It is something that has to be felt, at times to the point of madness. Only to wake up one morning and feel like a new day, a new attitude, and new lease on life. And today, I'm not questioning it.

As always, Sundays give millions of reasons to write. Whether it be the ordeal of getting kids ready for church. The madness that ensues when you ask 8 and 9 year old to 'dress nice' (as if I was asking them to cross-dress). The endless toys/snacks/sippy cups/entertainment necessary to keep LOUD kids quiet...they only work so well.

Today, as every other Sunday, no one owns an inside voice. For some reason, Nora sees church as her venue to try out all her new material. Today, she quoted Pee-Wees Big Adventure twice. While anyone might think that is random, it's completely Nora. As the priest raised his hands in church (as any catholic would know, it's often) Atticus took that as if he was being waved at, him only. He continued to wave back and say, "HEELLOO!"

Snacks given out. Church pews thoroughly examined by Atticus. We made it to the end. Our priest always asks every Sunday if there are any people visiting. I hear a snicker behind me, and turn to see Nora. There she is, huge smile on her face, waving her hand in the air to his question. I turned to her and said, "...what are you doing?" She informed me that she really just felt like raising her hand.

What's the point? The point is that 24 hours can change a lot. There is a silver lining somewhere, you just have to try not to trip over it. And finally, anything is possible, if given time, hope for a better day and maybe just pretending you're from out of town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment